Tuesday, January 27, 2009

the Clusty experience

Sunday I decided to take Prof. Marsteller's suggestion to visit the Clusty search site. A simple name search yielded some Yale Daily News articles which provided some clues. One article was an profile piece in which Laurie Santos says she hopes to start teaching classes in behavioral biology and evolutionary psychology. The fact that many of her monkey's at Harvard were names after former Yale psychologists; indicating, I'm sure, some of her idols or influences. The article also states the focus of her work as the evolution of human cognition and the mental capabilities of monkeys and other non-human primates. But this I already knew from her web pages.

Another resource uncovered by my Clusty search is Psych Central, a mental health social network. Laurie was quoted in a few articles here. I wonder if she would participate in this type of social network. It seems a little removed from her primary work but may be a source of inspiration.

I also came across an event at which Laurie Santos presented. CoSy, Cognitive Systems for Cognitive Assistants, "meeting of the minds workshop" in Paris '07. This organization seems to be primarily concerned with artificial intelligence. But it appears that Prof. Santos was invited to speak. It seems sometimes information and inspiration finds you!

Although I found some interesting things in the Clusty site I did have to filter out unrelated hits like the hits for another Laurie Santos, the "extreme dream coach". On the other hand it did lead to some things that I might not have found in an EBSCO or other similar database search.

I think I will go back to her published papers to analyze her citations.

No comments: